This page is a work in progress and I will add the relevant blog links as and when they are finished…
A prerequisite to starting the trip was to watch Ewan McGregor’s and Charlie Boorman’s motorbike adventure Long Way Round and it’s from here that I took inspiration for the title of the journey. Whilst our 2897 km might pale in comparison to their global adventure (they did 30,000) it was part of the inspiration for our trip.
The trip took us just under three weeks and that was at a slow leisurely pace. We could easily have spent more time in cities like Dalat and Hoi An but were on a tight schedule to make it to Hanoi. Also it would be possible to do the trip in less time. I’d say the minimum you could do it would be two weeks, but that would mean driving the most direct routes on the highways and spending less time in some of the more interesting spots.
I’ve divided up our trip into sections with tips and routes below. When I finish a blog post I’ll update this with a link so that it’s easy to navigate around.
- Part one: Ho Chi Minh – Mui Ne
- Part two: Mui Ne – Dalat
- Part three: Dalat – Nha Trang
- Part four: Nha Trang – Tuy Hoa
- Part five: Tuy Hoa – An Khe
- Part six: An Khe – Kham Duc (HCM Highway)
- Part seven: Kham Duc – Hoi An
- Part eight: Hoi An – Danang
- Part nine: Danang – Hue (Hai Van pass)
- Part ten: Hue – Phong Nha National Park
- Part eight: Phong Nga National Park – Mai Chau
- Part nine: Mai Chau – Hanoi